Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Monday, July 2, 2007

Layovers and everything

So my sister left for her first overseas missions trip this morning. It is going to be an awesome trip for her. It reminds me of when I when on my first missions trip in 2003 to Ukraine. The trip lasted almost two weeks and we spent most of it ministering to orphans all over the country. You have not seen how inhuman a child can be treated unless you have been outside of this country. I saw a mentally handicapped child restrained by the wrist with a cloth bound so tight that her hands and fingers had turned purple. I walked into an orphanage where the smell of human waste was overpowering. I also met a mentally and physically handicapped "child" who was older than me, totally unable to move or communicate.

Despite this, I also saw smiles on child's faces when we gave them moments of our attention. I loved on children who rarely received attention from anybody. And I also met two physically handicapped boys who as an indirect result of our trip would be adopted by friends of mine to now live in the U.S.

Not everyone is called to mission, but when God calls you, for either a short or long term trip, go! Not only will God use you to change lives, but God will change you in the process.


No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Paul Boller, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.