Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Friday, June 15, 2007

Standing out

Insight 4

4. Just because you know everyone in the room is staring doesn't mean you are not suppose to be there.

When I first started going to the gym, I felt out of place. I would look around and see all these people who where fit and or looked like they knew what they were going. I on the other hand, felt like everyone knew just by looking at me that I was a beginner at this. Simply, it was awkward.

Many times, God calls us to do things that are awkward to us and if we allow that sense of awkwardness to hold us back, we will miss out on all He has for us. Awkward comes because God is calling us to do something we have never done before. If I had allowed my awkwardness to cause me to stop going to the gym, I would have missed out on all the benefits of working out I have experienced. Rather than awkwardness being the sign that we should stop something, more times than not, it is the sign we are doing something we have never done before...we are growing. I once heard it said that if you never do anything that is awkward, you have ceased to grow. Never stop growing. Or in the words of Patton as immortalized in the 1970 movie Patton:


Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything -- except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the a--. We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose!

(http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechpatton3rdarmyaddress.html)

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Paul Boller, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.