Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Spiritual Insights from the Gym

So I have been having an idea for a series of posts. The series will be, "Spiritual Insights from the Gym". Haha, what a man title right?!

First, I want to explain a basic premise that is the foundation for my observations. The premise is that principles and natural laws, such as sowing and reaping, are really mirrors of greater spiritual principles and spiritual laws. So with that, lets move to Insight One!

Insight One: By making physical fitness a long-term priority that is a nonnegotiable, fruits of physical fitness follow.

I have developed a weekly routine of going to the gym twice a week for an hour and a half. In my life, it has reached the point were my doing those two sessions is a nonnegotiable. It does not matter what else is going on, I will always make time to go to the gym. As a result, I am continually reaping the benefits of working out. Regardless of what is going on in my life, whether it be school related or work related, I am continually developing and reaping the benefits of developing my physical strength.

How many of us though have made spiritual development, spending time with God and His Word, a nonnegotiable in our own lives? So many of us, I included, have often in the past put God aside saying, “I’ll read my Bible tonight” or “I must do this instead”. We do this, but then wonder why we feel spiritually underfed or weak. It is because we have failed to make spiritual develop a nonnegotiable that we will do regardless of whatever else we have going on in life. Until we make spending time with God a nonnegotiable, we will not experience benefits of beings spiritually fit. Ultimately, our spiritual develop will dictate how well we life our lives, so just like it is important to be physically fit to live well, isn’t it more important to be spiritually fit?

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Paul Boller, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.